How Much Tint Is Legal in Illinois

How Much Tint Is Legal in Illinois: Everything You Need to Know

Window tinting offers numerous benefits, such as enhancing privacy, reducing glare, protecting against harmful UV rays, and improving the overall appearance of your vehicle. However, it is crucial to be aware of the legal restrictions regarding window tinting to avoid any potential penalties or fines. In Illinois, there are specific regulations that dictate how much tint is permitted on different windows of a vehicle. In this article, we will explore the legal limits for tinting in Illinois and answer some frequently asked questions.

Legal Tint Limits in Illinois:

1. Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top six inches of the windshield.
2. Front Side Windows: Tint must allow a minimum of 35% of light to pass through.
3. Rear Side Windows: Tint must allow a minimum of 35% of light to pass through.
4. Rear Window: Tint must allow a minimum of 35% of light to pass through.

It is important to note that the percentage mentioned above refers to the amount of visible light transmission (VLT) allowed through the tint. For example, a 35% VLT means that the tint film allows 35% of visible light to pass through and blocks the remaining 65%.


Q: What is the purpose of these tint limits?
A: The main purpose of these regulations is to ensure that drivers have sufficient visibility both during the day and at night. Excessive tinting can impair a driver’s vision, posing a safety risk to both the driver and others on the road.

See also  What Happens if a Police Car Crashes Into You

Q: Are there any exceptions to these tint limits?
A: Yes, there are exceptions for certain medical conditions. Individuals with a valid medical exemption may be allowed to have a darker tint, but they must obtain a special permit from the Illinois Secretary of State’s office.

Q: Can I have a darker tint on my rear windows or rear windshield?
A: No, the same 35% VLT limit applies to both front and rear windows. However, if your vehicle comes with factory-installed tint on the rear windows or rear windshield, you are allowed to keep it as long as it complies with the state’s regulations.

Q: Will I get a ticket or face penalties if my vehicle’s tint exceeds the legal limits?
A: Yes, driving a vehicle with tint that exceeds the legal limits can result in a traffic ticket and fines. Additionally, law enforcement officers have the authority to issue a citation and require the tint to be removed or replaced with one that complies with the regulations.

Q: Can I use reflective or mirrored tint on my windows?
A: No, reflective or mirrored tint is prohibited on any windows in Illinois. These types of tints can be distracting to other drivers and interfere with their visibility.

Q: Are there any restrictions on the colors of tint that can be used?
A: While Illinois does not have specific regulations regarding tint color, it is recommended to use a non-distracting color that does not obstruct the view from inside or outside the vehicle.

Q: Can I tint my front windshield darker if I have a sun visor?
A: No, even if you have a sun visor, the top six inches of the windshield can only have non-reflective tint. It is essential to have a clear and unobstructed view of the road at all times.

See also  How to Judge Lincoln Douglas Debate


Understanding the legal limits for window tinting in Illinois is crucial to ensure compliance with the law and avoid potential penalties. Remember that the windshield can only have non-reflective tint on the top six inches, while the front and rear side windows, as well as the rear window, must allow a minimum of 35% of light to pass through. It is always recommended to consult a professional tinting service to ensure your vehicle’s windows comply with the state’s regulations.